Use the link in the header above to view or download the current contract.
Look up and read article 11.2 in the contract. This is FULL of information and all you need to know (but were afraid to ask) about low census.
In a nutshell, article 11.2 tells you:
- When low census can and will occur
- Order of who is called off on low census
- There is a difference between Mandatory Low Census and Voluntary Low Census.
- There is a 48-hour maximum CAP for mandatory low census hours in 6 months if unit is not designated as “closed”.Once you reach the maximum mandatory low census hours in the six-month period of time, you can anticipate they will find work for you to do.
- There is a log of everyone on your unit’s low census hours and should show voluntary and mandatory (but may only record the mandatory).
- Mandatory low census MUST be divided equally among the nurses.
- Any employee can request at any time to look at that log and make sure the numbers are in alignment with your own records. Managers, schedulers and charge nurses usually have access to this log.
- LOW CENSUS STANDBY has special pay considerations attached to that.
It is critical that individuals be aware of where they are in their low census total hours. The log must be updated and kept current to the DAY as this will affect the call off order. If nurse A has less hours of mandatory low census than nurse b, Nurse A will be sent home. Low Census should NOT be scheduled in advance. It should be a daily decision and based on the cumulative changing low census hours totals.
Your mission should you choose to accept it is to:
- Log your own mandatory and voluntary low census hours. (calendar, phone etc)
- Request to see the low census log and make sure the hours are recorded correctly.
- Be VERY clear when asked about low census whether you are taking mandatory or voluntary.
If you have concerns or questions please email to your nurse representative Sue Dunlap firstname.lastname@example.org or contact one of your executive team officers listed below.
Liz Rainaud MSN, RN – Local Unit Chair:
Jessica Googe RN — Secretary
Hannah Guy BSN RN Treasurer
Kristi Perez RN CMSRN Secretary / Grievance Officer
Cheryl Pedersen RN – Grievance Officer
Rachel Yates RN – Co-Membership
Sue Dunlap MSN, RN, COS‑C WSNA Nurse Representative